The Royal Garrison Church of St George in Woolwich was destroyed by a flying bomb on 13 July 1944
It has now been preserved as a memorial garden containing the VC memorial of the Royal Artillery Regiment. The remains are still regarded as consecrated ground and host services for the Royal Artillery Barracks.
The church walls survived the attack as did some of the decorative features along with the alter and mosaic of St George and the dragon. Marble tablets containing names of gunners awarded the Victoria Cross, dating back to the Crimea War, also survived.
This neglected Grade II listed buiding, built in 1867, has just been
awared a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. A fabric roof will offer
protection against the elements and once finished will be open to the public.