Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Golden Jubilee Bridge

Golden Jubilee Bridge, better known as Hungerford Bridge, on a misty early spring morning.

The pedestrian footbridge, one on either side of the railway lines that lead into Charring Cross station, rest on the foundation of the old railway bridge. This was necessary to avoid the Bakerloo Line that runs just a few feet below the river bed and also to avoid any World War II bombs that may remain unexploded in the Thames. The walkways, 330m long and completed in 2002, replaced the old, narrow and dilapidated pedestrian bridge that had a dodgy reputation.

The structures won the Royal Fine Art Commission Building of the Year Award in 2003.

The view from the bridge looking West towards the Houses of Parliament. 

The Victoria Embankment is unusually empty as it leads up to St Stephens Tower. It’s not ‘Big Ben’ as most people think as this is just a nickname for the bell inside the tower. It is thought to be named after the heavyweight boxer Ben Caunt. In 1840 he defeated Bill Brassey in a fight that lasted 101 rounds. He became heavyweight champion of England on 11 May 1841.

The Victoria Embankment is also home to the Royal Air Force Memorial. Completed in 1923 to commemorate those lost in the First World War. It is now also a memorial dedicated to those that died in subsequent conflicts. It was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and the golden eagle was sculpted by William Reid Dick.

This is the view that inspired Monet.  Le Parlement, coucher de soleil

No comments:

Post a Comment