Forming what looks like a giant pair of equestrian book ends the sculpture sits in the northwest corner of Trafalgar Square opposite the sombre, humourless statue of George IV also on horseback. The childlike, innocent statue is the total antithesis to all the military pomp and grandeur that fill the square.
The plinth was originally built for an equestrian statue in 1841 but was never completed due to lack of funds. It remained ‘empty’ for over 160 years. It is now an important London landmark and love it or loath it the artwork on the Fourth Plinth is never ignored and always thought provoking. Without doubt the purpose of public art.