The earliest reference to Staple Inn dates back to the
Normans when in 1292 the site was known as le Stapled Halle. ‘Staple’ is
derived from a tax on wool that was introduced in 1275.
In 1415 Staple Inn was the home to a group of
lawyers known as the Grand Company and Fellows of Staple Inn and by 1586 a
medieval school or college providing training in the legal profession. The building has survived the Great Fire of
1666 and the blitz of WW2. The current Staple Inn has been used by the Institute
of Actuaries since 1887 and is considered the world wide ‘home’ of this industry.