Sunday, 29 May 2011

Gloucester Road, SW7

Gloucester Road tube station was opened in 1868 at a time when there were first class carriages on the underground. "By 1910 a sixpenny ticket allowed the traveller access to the first-class carriages of the Metropolitan Railway's Pullman cars; the carriages contained morocco armchairs set in the replica of a drawing room with mahogany walls. Electric lamps were placed on side tables and blinds of green silk covered the windows. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were served." - 'London Under', Peter Ackroyd

The area is mainly full of tourists due to the large number of hotels but also include this Mews and original "Chard and Sons" shop front.

No comments:

Post a Comment