Saturday, 22 June 2013

Snapshots of Greenwich

This peaceful looking courtyard within Wrens Royal Naval College at Greenwich is in fact the Trinity Laban Conservatoire Of Music & Dance. All kinds of amazing music flows from each window.



Some snapshots of the Naval College. Visitors can meander in and out of these fantastic buildings free of charge. Take your time.




Saturday, 15 June 2013

Bedford Row Water Pump



At the junction of Bedford Row and Sandland Street stands a disused water pump, which has now been converted into a street lamp.



Saturday, 8 June 2013

Lincolns Inn Fields to Gray’s Inn Gardens




This short walk is between two of London largest garden squares and in amongst the Inns of Court. These were founded back in the fourteenth century to protect and teach English law. Apart from the very expensive cars parked within the courts it looks as though not much has changed since the Inns of Court were created. Despite this most of the original buildings have made way for newer houses, come offices, but in keeping with the spirit of the originals.

There is confusion over the naming of Lincoln’s Inn Fields being after either Henry de Lacy (Earl of Lincoln) or Thomas de Lyncoln who both date back to the fourteenth century.  Originally common ground and the site for public executions the ‘square’ was formed by Indigo Jones in the seventeenth century.

Previous residents have included the Earl of Sandwich, William Gladstone and the mistress of Charles II, Neil Gwyn.

The gardens fell into neglect in the 70’s and was used by the homeless as somewhere to sleep through the night. The area is now restored to its former glory and is one of London’s best public parks containing tennis courts, a cafĂ© and large, splendid London Plain trees (Platanus× acerifolia). All this in the centre of London
The Old Hall
As mentioned the buildings are not as old as they look and the Old Hall only dates back to 1843 when the foundation stone was laid. Queen Victoria officially opened the Hall on October 30, 1845

The Old Hall with the Libary to the left
The Library was extended eastwards in 1872 and was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott who is better known as the architect of St Pancras Station and the Albert Memorial.


"Camdonian"created by Barry Flanagan at the corner of Lincolns Inn Fields

Cross High Holborn and into Warwick Court, which was the home in exile of Sun Yat Sen "The father of the Chinese republic". In 1896, while in exile in London, Sun was kidnapped and held hostage for 13 days. His captor’s intended to ship him back to China but he was released due to the work of James Cantile and the Foreign Office. The incident only enhanced the reputation of Sun Yat Sen.




At the end of Warwick Court is Field Court and a house know known as Field Court Chambers.




The five acres of garden that is Gray's Inn Garden right in the heart of London.